Sunday, October 11, 2009

Wine-Scented Rice

Guys, this is our new favorite way to cook rice. They gave out samples and recipes at the Publix grocery store, and we were hooked ever since. The main secret is the basmati (or jasmine) rice. I love the cilantro, but you can take that out and it's still good. We use chicken broth instead of white wine, but they do sell cooking wine that has very little alcohol if anyone is brave enough.

Oh, and the best part - basmati and jasmine rice are healthier than white rice!

Ingredients

1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 1/2 cup Basmati or Jasmine Rice
3/4 cup Fresh pre-diced Onions (we use dry onions and that works)
2 3/4 cup White Wine or Herbed Chicken Broth
10-12 sprigs Fresh Cilantro


1. Preaheat saucepan on medium-high heat. Place oil in pan; swirl to coat. Add rice and onions; cook 1-2 minutes, stirring often or until rice is toasted and onions begin to soften.

2. Stir in broth; bring to a boil. Cover and cook one minute, stirring often. Reduce heat to lowest setting and cook 22 minutes. (Don't stir or remove lid during cooking.)

3. Meanwhile, chop cilantro finely and set aside. Fluff rice with fork; stir in cilantro and serve.

Serves 4

5 comments:

Jolynn said...

That sounds really yummy. And I actually think it would be better with the chicken broth than it would be with wine. I can't wait to try this!

hillari said...

I do love both basmati and jasmine rice, and of course have both on hand. I'll have to try it...I might be brave enough to try the wine. Some of my dream dinners meals use cooking wine! Yikes a be.

cassidy said...

Mmm...sounds yummy. I don't ever cook with Basmati or Jasmine rice so maybe I should try it, since James doesn't love the plain brown rice that I usually cook. Thanks for the recipe!

Lexi said...

i should try this out. it sounds way better than just plain old rice. and i even have some jasmine rice.

cassidy said...

Okay we made this rice last night and ate it with salmon and it was very delish. We used jasmine rice, which I really liked. Definitely yummier than plain brown rice! We'll be doing it again soon.