Since we decided to turn this blog into a site for recipe and exercise tips, I thought I'd be the first to update it. I found this recipe for "Tasty Lentil Tacos", which admittedly I haven't even tried yet, but which I thought sounded interesting and kind of good. Definitely healthy. Hopefully one of us will try it soon and let the rest know if it is any good.
Tasty Lentil Tacos
1 cup finely chopped onion
1 minced garlic clove
1 tsp. canola oil
1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
1 tbl. chili powder
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. dried oregano
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 cup salsa
12 taco shells
1 1/2 cups shredded lettuce
1 cup chopped fresh tomato
1 1/2 cups (6 oz) shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese
6 tbl. fat free sour cream
In a large nonstick skillet, saute the onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add the lentils, chili powder, cumin and oregano; cook and stir for 1 minute. Add broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until the lentils are tender. Uncover; cook for 6-8 minutes or until mixture is thickened. Mash lentils slightly. Stir in salsa. Spoon about 1/4 cup lentil mixture into each taco shell. Top with lettuce, tomato, cheese and sour cream. Yeild: 6 servings.
Disney day 3
11 years ago
4 comments:
this sounds like it would be kind of good. someone does need to try it and let us all know. thanks for posting the first recipe!
Well it definitely won't be me trying this recipe first since I can't even think about lentils without gagging. But I'm glad someone got the recipe posts going!
Sounds delicious! I'm definitely going to be trying this. And it's too bad Cassidy doesn't like lentils, because they are the best. Why? Because they're the one legume I can think of that you don't have to soak before cooking. So you can choose them at the last minute and still be able to cook them!
Thanks for sharing and getting us started.
Well to answer Holli Jo, I don't like lentils because of a gross experience I had with them in my first trimester. But here's the thing, I never soak legumes before cooking them. I just boil and then simmer beans (pinto and black are the only ones I've done this with) for an hour or two and they're done.
Post a Comment