Sunday, February 21, 2010

Pork Tacos


Pork tacos are one of my new dinner obsessions. They're not completely healthy but they're very yummy. Nothing in the recipe is precise, but they're pretty easy. I usually make these when I have leftover pork roast, but for bigger families you might want to do a whole pork roast (just not a really big one).

Ingredients:
Pork roast
1 or 2 cans diced green chiles (depending on the size of the roast)
1/2 chopped onion (optional), sauteed in oil
Cumin
Chili powder
Garlic salt

For the tacos:
Corn tortillas
1 or 2 diced tomatoes
Chopped lettuce

Saute the onion if using one. Shred the pork and add it and the can of diced green chiles to the onion. Add a few shakes of cumin (I like to put lots), one or two shakes of chili powder, and one or two shakes of garlic salt. Stir it around on low heat for a while. Add a bit of water if it's too dry. That's all!

Here is where it gets less healthy. We fry corn tortillas - not to the point that they're crispy, just to the point that they get a tiny bit sturdy, but are still floppy for tacos. You could probably just warm them up in the microwave and it would still taste good. In fact, I might do that next time. Then top the tacos with lettuce and tomato. We don't add cheese - they don't really need it. Serve them with a side of black beans, which count as a veggie. So if you don't fry them they're really healthy!

4 comments:

hillari said...

Mmm, that's how the Dominguez's make their tacos too...fried that is. And they are delish! But how could you not do cheese? Everything needs cheese! Anyway, sounds yummy.

Jolynn said...

They sound really delish! We never fry our tacos anymore, but you have to double them or they break all up. This would be a great way to use leftover pork. Thanks Cass.

Lexi said...

i want to eat some right now! they look and sounds super good.

holli jo said...

Cass, this sounds so good that I got inspired. I bought a pork roast for Sunday dinner, and now we're going to use the leftovers tonight to make pork tacos! Thanks for the great recipe.